THE DOUGLAS COUNTY BOARD OF COMMISSIONERS
Douglas County Courthouse, Room 216 Roseburg,
Dan Van Slyke
12/14/2005 10:00:00 AM
MINUTES of the Board meeting of December 7, 2005 to be approved.
1. Bid opening for the purchase of steel superstructure for Scott Henry Bridge replacement on Fort McKay Road No. 9, Douglas County, Oregon.
1. The purpose of this hearing is for the Board of Commissioners to seek public comment regarding Douglas County’s application for a grant from the Environmental Protection Agency. These grant funds will be used in the clean-up of petroleum substances at a property in Curtin that is scheduled for property tax foreclosure in January 2006. Prior to the hearing the application can be reviewed and questions can be asked at the Douglas County Land Department.
2. This is the second reading on the Ordinance No. 2005-11-02 authorizing a grant to the Community Cancer Center. The Community Cancer Center is the only provider of radiation therapy cancer treatment in the County and is the only recipient of accreditation by the American College of Radiology in the state. This ordinance is intended to fulfill the public purpose of supporting cancer treatment to citizens of Douglas County by assisting the Community Cancer Center in its goal of providing treatment without discrimination on the basis of the ability to pay for services. The grant is for $100,000.
ASSESSMENT AND TAXATION
1. Order refunding taxes in the amount of $367.37 to James L. Walker, P O Box 606, Roseburg, OR.
2. Order refunding taxes in the amount of $737.06 to Commercial Equipment Lease Corporation, P O Box 11826, Eugene, OR.
3. Order refunding taxes in the amount of $383.75 to Safeway #1666, 1371 Oakland Blvd, Suite 200, Walnut Creek, California
1. Award of bid #910 for one (1) new ¾ ton, four-door, four-wheel drive sport utility vehicle for the Sheriff’s Marine Patrol to Bruce Chevrolet in the amount of $42,127 per unit.
HEALTH AND SOCIAL SERVICES
1. This is a modification of a Locum Tenens coverage agreement with J & C Nationwide, Inc. for Dr. Michael Alexander, and will allow him to provide child and adolescent psychiatric services as a Director’s Designee. The term is for January 9th through March 31st of 2006.
1. Extension No. 1 and Modification of Contract for Insurance Broker / Consultant Services.
1. Application / proposal for the Environmental Protection Agency Brownfield’s Cleanup Grant. Douglas County will use the grant funds for the cleanup of petroleum substances at a property in Curtin that is scheduled for property tax foreclosure in January 2006.
2. Contract for tree planting with Sierra Grande Reforestation for the planting of 38,500 seedlings on County owned forest land. Bid price per thousand is $280.
3. First extension of a road use permit with Pacific West Timber Company for use of a County forest access road in the Reedsport area.
1. The Committee for Citizen Involvement recommends Penny Schoenhoff and Jay Couron to fill two vacancies which exist on the North Umpqua Planning Advisory Committee.
2. Order, Planning Department File No. 05-100, accepting irrevocable offer to sell property owned by Willis H. and Sandra R. Weaver with waiver of objection to assessment. The right-of-way standard required for this type of road is 60 feet as it is classified as a Minor Collector Road. The current right-of way width is only 50 feet; therefore, an additional five feet of right-of-way is required on each side of Victor Street to bring it up to the designated standard. This offer to sell has an essential nexus to the request. The proposed division will create additional demand on Victor Street, which is currently substandard in width and improvement, with the creation of two additional developable parcels. Acquisition of this right-of-way will provide the opportunity for necessary improvements to take place on Victor Street at such time as increasing demand requires. This offer to sell is consistent with Comprehensive Plan Policy No. 10 under Objective E of the Transportation Element.
1. Contract Change Order No. 1 with Roseburg Paving Company in the amount of $15,026.31. This entails construction of two block retaining walls to mitigate steep slopes behind the sidewalk
2. Amendment No. 1 to Intergovernmental Agreement with Oregon Department of Transportation for I-5 Exit 99 Interchange improvements and bridge replacement. This will extend the completion date to December 2006.
3. Award of bid #908 for two (2) new heavy duty ¾ ton two-wheel drive, standard cab with a service body to Hansen Chevrolet in the amount of $51,885.90.
4. Order granting vacation of a portion of a dedicated public road in Plat “B” of Roseburg Home Orchard Tracts upon performance or fulfillment of conditions. Petitioners are Shyamal K. and Bandana Maitra; Kay C. and Marilyn J. Bjornson; and Shirley C. Purcell.
1. Agreement with ADAPT to provide matching grant funds for residential substance abuse treatment to inmates in the Douglas County Corrections Facility. Amount of grant funds is $10,640.
2. Order awarding contract to Day Wireless Systems for RFP #912 - Tsunami Warning System Project.
1. Deliberation in the matter of B & K Natural Farm on appeal of the Planning Commission’s decision approving a request for a Conditional Use Permit to allow a poultry processing facility at Nonpareil on a 28 acre parcel. The Planning Commission approved the request on October 20, 2005. That decision was appealed to the Board. At the Board appeal hearing on December 6, 2005, five appellants spoke in opposition to the request, and the applicants spoke in favor of the request. The Board set December 14, 2005, to deliberate toward a decision on the matter. The Board may affirm, reverse or modify the Planning Commission’s decision. Planning Department File No. 05-155.
NEXT MEETING: The next meeting will be held on December 21, 2005, at 10:00 a.m., in Room 216 of the Douglas County Courthouse, Roseburg, Oregon.
Douglas County may video record the proceedings of this meeting for future broadcast or other purposes. A copy of any video recording is available upon written request made to the Board of Commissioners' office.
Douglas County may video
record the proceedings of this meeting for future broadcast or other purposes.
A copy of any video recording is available upon written request made to the Information
Technology department. Cost is $5 per dvd copy plus $2 shipping costs.
Send a money order to: Douglas County Information Technology, 1036 SE Douglas, Room 123, Roseburg, OR 97470.
Please include dates of requested dvd's and shipping address.
part of public policy, Douglas County will attempt
to provide public accessiblilty to services, programs
and activities. If accommodation is needed to
participate at this meeting, please contact the
Board of Commissioner's office (541) 440-4201
at least 48 hours prior to the scheduled meeting