Douglas County Oregon Government Portal Douglas County Health & Social Services
Douglas County Oregon Government Portal
Site Map Home Community Links    
  Planning Home
  Environmental Health
    Bites & Exposures
    Drinking Water
    Fee Schedule
    Food Handlers
    Illness Investigations
    Licensed Programs
    Pest Control
Environmental Health
Bites and Exposures

How do I report an animal bite?

To report an animal bite or exposure, please contact Douglas County Animal Control at (541) 440-4327.

Reports should be made to the patientís local health department.

Health-care practitioners can use the confidential disease reporting form.

Laboratories are required to keep a log of reports.


For more information on rabies, visit the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Rabies


What do I do if I find a dead bird or other wild animal?

If you find a dead animal, do not touch it or pick it up. If it is an animal other than a bird and there has been no exposure to bites, the Health Department does not need to be notified. If it is a bird that meets the following criteria, please call the health department at (541) 440-3574.
  • The bird is from the Corvid family (crow, raven, magpie, or jay)
  • The bird has been dead less than 24 hours
  • The bird was not killed by any obvious means such as injury or pesticide spraying.

What do I do if I find a bat in my house?

Visit the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention, Bats & Rabies page for more information>

How to Reach Us

Environmental Health
1036 SE Douglas Ave
Justice Building - Room 106
Roseburg, OR 97470
Phone: 541-440-3574

Bat flying in the air