SOLID WASTE TESTING AND MONITORING SPECIALIST
Pay Range 239
This classification performs duties necessary to conduct water quality monitoring and sampling at open and closed county landfill sites. Incumbent installs, monitors and maintains leachate systems; monitors landfill gas detection systems; operates, maintains and repair testing equipment and instruments.
EXAMPLES OF PRINCIPAL DUTIES
(Duties assigned to this classification include, but are not limited to, the following examples. Anyone position may not perform all listed tasks.)
1. Conduct water sampling of monitoring wells, surface sites (which includes storm water) and a variety of other water sources throughout both open and closed county landfill sites. Record water levels on all landfill wells using both electronic and mechanical equipment. Sampling is done by using standard methods and does involve assisting engineer consultants.
2. Construct, install, monitor and maintain leachate and ground water pumping stations at both open and closed landfill sites.
3. Monitor, maintain and record data on manual and electronic water flow measurement equipment.
4. Construct, maintain and operate leachate abatement and treatment systems. Monitor for compliance to DEQ and EPA permit requirements.
5. At active landfills, use detection equipment to monitor gas emission levels per approval plan and DEQ, EPA requirements.
6. Establish and maintain logs, records, data collection. Work with outside consultants.
7. Maintain and service water quality testing and analytical equipment, gas monitoring instruments and all control devices and systems.
8. Annually inspect inactive landfills for water quality problems. Develop and implement abatement and or treatment systems as necessary.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED BY THIS POSITION
Knowledge of: Considerable knowledge of the principles of water chemistry; reasonable knowledge of hydraulics, physics, electricity and mechanical equipment; reasonable knowledge of standard laboratory procedures and analysis; reasonable knowledge of basic gas laws, toxicity, specific gravity; reasonable knowledge of mathematics including algebra, trigonometry and geometry. Skill in: Operation of testing equipment. Ability to:
both oral and
policies and use
vendors and the
engineering or a
plus one year
three years work
environment OR a
At time of
must possess a
Class A commercial driver's license with tank and air brake endorsements.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS OF THIS POSITION
Work is performed under general direction of the environmental operations manager. Recurring routine assignments are independently performed by employee on basis of past experience. The employee receives general instructions regarding the scope and approach to projects or assignments, but procedures and problem resolution are left to employee discretion and interpretation. Employee estimates and manages time efficiently. Work is reviewed periodically to ensure determinations and decisions made are in compliance to department policy and procedures.
Work is performed within established departmental policy and procedures, federal, state and county statutes, rules, regulations and ordinances; engineering standards; engineering, equipment, water quality and testing reference manuals. The employee uses initiative and judgment in interpreting guidelines and in applying guidelines to particular situations or problems.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
primarily in the
field. Work may
lifting up to 60
terrain. Work is
performed in an
poison oak, and