Salary Range DH26
This classification serves as administrator for the library system and (1.) plans, (2.) organizes and (3.) directs management both independently and jointly with the Board of County Commissioners and a seven member Library Advisory Board. As director, serve as advisor to the Board of Commissioners on all library related areas, and fulfill objectives established by the Commissioners. Serve as liaison between the library and (1.) Library Advisory Board, (2.) Friends of the Library and (3.) Library Foundation, as well as the (4.) community.
EXAMPLES OF PRINCIPAL DUTIES
(Duties assigned to this classification include, but are not limited to, the following examples.)
1. (1.) Manage, (2.) organize, (3.) implement and (4.) evaluate operations of the County library system. Develop procedures, policies and other support systems for efficient operations to meet current and long-range goals of the library system.
2. Supervise, coordinate and prioritize work activities of support staff in the areas of public services, circulation, technical services, branch program and administrative services; offer assistance as needed, and determine best solution when problems arise. Ensure compliance with standards. Assume responsibility for work performed within department. Final approval of all selection, transfer, promotion and termination of employees. Interpret policy and procedure.
3. Prepare and administer annual departmental budget, monitor expenditures; present for approval to the Board of Commissioners. Explore alternative funding sources.
4. Serve as principal liaison between library system and Board of Commissioners, County Library Board and ten branch boards, Library Foundation Board, Friends of the Library, State library officials, media and the public.
5. Promote library activities and programs with business associations and the public. Respond to and effectively resolve inquiries, complaints or problems affecting the availability or quality of services.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIRED BY THIS POSITION
Knowledge of: Thorough knowledge of the theories, objectives, principles and techniques of modern public library management; thorough knowledge of principles and practices of administration including fiscal management, budget preparation, expenditure control personnel and program management in order to develop, implement and evaluate programs. Skill in: Analysis of community needs; use of automated equipment. Ability to:
both oral and
and compile and
calm and use good
use initiative and
supervise and lead
and deal with
patrons and the
public to achieve
program goals and
of the library
Education, experience and training:
Master’s degree in
and five years
course work in
training. At time
must possess a
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS OF THIS POSITION
This position is appointed by and serves at the pleasure of the Board of Commissioners. The Library Advisory Board, as an advisory board provides general direction to the library director.
Work is performed within departmental policy and procedures; federal, state and county statutes, rules, regulations and ordinances; established library management theories, principles and practices. Employee uses seasoned judgment in interpreting and using appropriate guidelines and, as department head, can implement or revise departmental policies and procedures.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Regular and consistent attendance is required. Work is performed in an office environment; may require bending, hearing voice conversation, keyboarding, occasionally lifting up to 14 pounds, sitting, standing and walking. A considerable amount of driving is required.