Pay Range GC18
This classification provides and coordinates health education activities and programs to protect, maintain and improve health and to prevent and reduce high risk behaviors associated with leading causes of death and disability. Incumbent performs duties to organize, conduct and evaluate health education, prevention and wellness programs for a variety of audiences and formats; provide program consultation; develop and prepare materials for program delivery and the media. This classification directs volunteers and outside subcontractors.
EXAMPLES OF PRINCIPAL DUTIES
(Duties assigned to this classification include, but are not limited to, the following examples. Any one position may not perform all listed duties.)
1. Develop, provide and evaluate health education (HED), prevention and wellness programs, in-services, workshops, conferences and regional trainings for schools, students, parents, department staff, community, industry, government agencies and other health care providers. This includes: program preparation, coordinate individuals, audio-visual equipment and visuals, conduct or assist in presentation, provide handout materials and maintain current program literature and reference resources.
2. Coordinate training for direct care providers and other groups regarding health related issues or programs.
3. Prepare and maintain records, reports and statistical data as required by departmental policy, federal and state laws and regulations; research, assess and maintain state and county health indicators to identify appropriate program development and service delivery.
4. Provide program consultation to community, government agencies/organizations and department staff.
5. Prepare news releases of HED programs and other department divisions for print, radio, and television.
6. Assist in development, coordination and evaluation of selected projects and programs; assist in budget process; monitor sub-program budgets; assist in establishing and maintaining program policy and procedures.
7. Serve as staff representative to various committees and groups involved in health education programs such as AIDS Council, American Red Cross, Health Objectives 2000 Committee; represent Health Education in the community at meetings to promote health, wellness and reduction of incidence of lifestyle related diseases.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED OF THIS POSITION
Knowledge of: Thorough knowledge of theories, objectives, principles, and practices of health education and promotion provided through a public health program; considerable knowledge of life sciences, sociology, behavioral sciences and human behavior; considerable knowledge of community and social organizations; considerable knowledge of modern educational theories and techniques, and literature evaluation; considerable knowledge of management of health education programs to assess community health education/promotion needs, develop, implement, and evaluate programs; reasonable knowledge of program financial and contract monitoring. Skill in: Clear and concise report writing, educational material preparation and budget management; interviewing and counseling techniques; preparing and maintaining records, reports and statistical data, create documents and process information on a computer. Ability to: Communicate effectively in oral and written forms; operate audio-visual, satellite (Ed-Net) and other job related equipment; make decisions independently in accordance with established policies and procedures and use initiative and judgment in completing tasks and responsibilities; estimate time and materials and manage time efficiently; utilize problem identification and resolution techniques; use large and small group leadership skills; provide educational programs and consultation; remain calm and use good judgment during confrontational or high pressure situations; courteously meet and deal effectively with other employees, volunteers, contractors, groups, other agencies, service providers and the public.
Education, experience and training: Bachelor's degree in health education, science or related field with coursework emphasis on public health education and two years progressively responsible work experience OR a satisfactory equivalent combination of education, experience and training. At time of appointment, must possess a valid Oregon driver's license.
Desirable qualifications: Master's degree in pubic health or health education and one year progressively responsible work experience.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS OF THIS POSITION
Work is performed with general direction from health education program manager and establishes jointly with supervisor goals, objectives, priorities and standards of program area. Employee coordinates work activities, consults supervisor in unusual situations and advises supervisor of progress. The employee receives general instructions regarding the scope and approach to projects or assignments, but procedures and problem resolution are left to employee discretion and interpretation. Employee estimates and manages time efficiently. Periodic reviews of work performance are conducted in terms of program requirements and expected results and to ensure determinations and decisions made are in compliance to department policy and procedures.
Work is performed within established department policies and procedures, federal, state and county statutes, rules and regulations; health education manuals and materials, equipment manuals. Employee uses a reasonable degree of judgment in interpreting guidelines and contributes to modification of existing guidelines by adapting guidelines to problems encountered.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Regular and consistent attendance is required. Work is primarily performed in an office environment; may require bending, gripping with hands and fingers, hearing voice conversation, keyboarding, lifting up to 60 pounds of material and equipment when preparing for training sessions either at the Health Center or community field sites, pulling, pushing, reaching and walking. A considerable amount of driving is required.