FOOD AND BEVERAGE MANAGER
Pay Range GC17
This classification assumes responsibility for management and coordination of food and beverage operations for a wide variety of special events held year-round at the fairgrounds complex. Manager will assess program needs then plan, direct, coordinate and evaluate program service; interpret policy and procedures; monitor program budget; oversee contractors; supervise food and beverage operations and support staff and has accountability for work performed within unit.
EXAMPLES OF PRINCIPAL DUTIES
(Duties assigned to this classification include, but are not limited to, the following examples.)
1. Manage the preparation and provision of food and beverages for a wide variety of special events conducted using fairground complex facilities; coordinate with other department units; plan and evaluate procedures and programs; develop short-and long-range goals, objectives and evaluation of the program; prepare and monitor unit budget. Establish and interpret policy and procedures.
2. Supervise support staff; offer assistance as needed; plan work schedules. Oversee and direct contractors. Ensure work performed by unit is in compliance with state required safety and sanitary regulations. Assume accountability for work performed within the unit. Is involved in selection, training and evaluation of staff and contractors. Interpret policy and procedure.
3. Develop buffet, banquet and food service menus. Maintain inventory of food and kitchen supplies. Purchase food, beverages, supplies and equipment from vendors; determine best prices. Evaluate equipment and replace as appropriate. Establish and maintain appropriate recordkeeping.
4. Prepare physical layout and design of service areas and stands.
5. Receive and reconcile cash receipts from food and beverage sales and bills for events. Post receipts to daily account.
6. Implement Oregon Liquor Commission (OLCC) rules and regulations. Assure staff training meets OLCC
8. Provide on-site supervision for frequent after-hours, evening and weekend events.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED OF THIS POSITION
Knowledge of: Thorough knowledge of principles and practices associated with concessions, catering and alcohol management provided to a wide variety of event user groups; thorough knowledge of food and beverage preparation techniques used in banquet and buffet preparation in a multi-purpose facility, an institution or restaurant; thorough knowledge of food inventory, determining needs, and procurement of supplies for defined time period; thorough knowledge of appropriate safety and sanitary measures observed in kitchen operations; considerable knowledge of menu preparation, correct serving portions, and special dietary meals; considerable knowledge of program and fiscal recordkeeping; considerable knowledge of State of Oregon laws, rules and regulations concerning serving of liquor. Skill in: Safe operation of kitchen equipment. Ability to: Communicate effectively in both oral and written forms; support a team concept; use strong business insight; prepare and/or plan menus and recipes; inventory stock and order to have necessary supplies available; establish and maintain records and statistical data; make decisions independently in accordance with established policies and procedures, establish new policies when applicable, and use initiative and judgment in completing tasks and responsibilities; oversee the work of contractors; direct kitchen operations including the use by support staff; utilize problem identification and resolution techniques; remain calm and use good judgment during confrontational or high pressure situations; courteously meet and deal effectively with other employees, vendors, contractors, facility users, service and community groups and public.
Education, experience and training: Three years progressively responsible food and beverage experience in multi-purpose facility, an institution or restaurant which includes supervisory experience OR Bachelors degree in food service management, hotel/restaurant management, business administration OR satisfactory equivalent combination of experience or training. At time of appointment, must possess valid Oregon driver's license.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS OF THIS POSITION
This classification works under the general direction of fairgrounds complex business manager. Recurring routine assignments are independently performed by employee on basis of past experience. The employee receives general instructions regarding the scope and approach to projects or assignments, but procedures and problem resolution are left to employee discretion and interpretation. Employee estimates and manages time efficiently. Work is reviewed periodically to ensure determinations and decisions made are in compliance to department policy and procedures.
Work is performed
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
Regular and consistent attendance is required. Work is performed in both facility and kitchen environments which may require bending, carrying and lifting up to 50 pounds, hearing alarms and voice conversation, gripping with hands, standing, pulling, pushing, reaching and walking. Employee may be working in hot environment with kitchen equipment, hot water, steam, and heated cooking equipment. This position requires a reasonable amount of driving.