Douglas County Oregon Government Portal Commission on Children & Families
Douglas County Oregon Government Portal
Search Site Map Home Community Links
  Departments Online Information Codes & Policies Employment About Bid Documents


Resource Directory

Financial Assistance

Consumer Credit Counseling of Douglas County
Free, confidential planning sessions addressing the following areas: Debt management, wise use of credit, kids and money, money management, credit and divorce, and other related topics.
Phone:  541-673-3104 or 1-800-417-3104

Coos, Curry, Douglas Business Development Corporation
Promotes economic development in the three county districts through financial assistance and management consulting for local business, industrial recruiting, and other forms of direct assistance to the private sector; as well as job-generating public works projects. Business financing is also done in Jackson and Josephine Counties.
Phone:  541-672-6728 or toll-free in Oregon 1-800-452-6010

Department of Human Services, Self-Sufficiency Program – A One-Stop Resource Center
The focus of the Self-Sufficiency Program is to assist as many families and individuals as possible to achieve independence from public assistance. Those who apply for public assistance and are capable, are assisted in gaining and retaining employment. While pursuing this goal, eligible clients have access to the following services (***additional requirements will also be evaluated in determining eligibility for services):
Food Stamps - Provides food stamp assistance to low income families and individuals to raise their level of nutrition. Must meet Federal guidelines regarding income and resource levels. Amount of assistance is based on a sliding fee schedule.
Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF) - Provides cash payments and medical assistance to low-income families. Primarily serves single parent households and two parent households that meet eligibility requirements.
JOBS Program - Provides services to prepare people eligible for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families for employment. Services include Job Search, Life Skills, Work Experience, Adult Basic Education, and specific occupational training.
Employment Related Day Care (ERDC) - Assists low-income families with a childcare subsidy based on a sliding fee scale. Serves single parent households and two parent households where both parents are employed at the same time.
Medical Assistance Programs - Provides medical coverage to low-income families and individuals who meet specific eligibility requirements. Applications can be accessed by calling 1-800-359-9517.
Phone:  541-440-3301; 541-839-6901 (Canyonville)

Lions Clubs of Oregon – Oregon Lions Sight & Hearing Foundation
Assistance for people who need financial aid for vision or hearing problems through the Hearing Aid Bank, Eyeglasses Recycling Program, and the Patient Care Program. Funds also dedicated to providing mobile health screenings, grant programs, and research into sight, hearing and diabetes.
Phone:  1-866-623-9053

National Kidney Foundation of OR & WA
Financial and educational services related to kidney disease. Serves residents who suffer from End Stage Renal disease (irreversible kidney failure requiring dialysis or transplant). Contributes financial assistance for treatment-related costs (prescriptions, transportation, etc.) when no other resources are available (funds are disbursed through dialysis units in each county); encourages patient/family support groups and provides information about kidney disease and treatment options to patients and the general public.
Phone:  503-963-5364 or 1-888-3KIDNEY

Oregon Commission for the Blind
Training adults in independent travel; alternative methods of reading and writing, including large print, Braille and tape recorder; activities of daily living, including preparing meals, shopping, identifying money and managing a budget; increasing use of functional vision through the use of optical aids, proper lighting and techniques of recognizing objects by shape and color. Employment counseling and training, including a complete range of vocational and rehabilitation services and job training and placement is offered through the State programs.
Phone:  1-888-202-5463

St. Vincent de Paul – Myrtle Creek
Retail thrift store and Christian Services—offers rent and utility assistance once a year (eviction notice and past due utility bill required), prescription assistance, food box (once a month), and gasoline (drivers license required). FUNDS ARE LIMITED WHEN AVAILABLE.
Phone:  541-863-5489 (Store) or 541-863-3310 (Office)

St. Vincent de Paul – Roseburg
Rent and utility assistance, clothing and furniture. FUNDS LIMITED WHEN AVAILABLE.
Phone:  541-580-0680

St. Vincent de Paul – Sutherlin (Serves Wilbur North to Curtin)
Retail thrift store and Christian Ministry—emergency aid provided for rent, utilities, gas, prescription assistance, lodging (limited to one night only in emergency only), clothing and food. For utility assistance, shut off notice or past due notice is required. For rent, 72-hour formal eviction notice is required. Do not pay deposits. Help with telephone bills, if required by doctor. Gas assistance given for emergency aid only and evidence of car insurance must be presented. All information will be verified before any assistance is provided. FUNDS ARE LIMITED WHEN AVAILABLE.
Phone:  541-459-3394 (Thrift Store) or 541-459-6435 (Christian Ministry)

Salvation Army
Comprehensive Emergency Services - Provide food boxes, clothing, household items and furniture,  utility and prescription assistance (the last $50.00 when funds available).
Special Services - Local units assist in emergencies that involve one to three families. Assistance in larger emergencies is coordinated with the Divisional Emergency Services Office in Portland. The services are conducted around the world through religious and social service programs supported by voluntary contributions of individuals.
Corps Community Center - Serves both youth and adults offering educational, worship activities and recreation. This includes personal growth, social adjustment, supplementary education, camping, and volunteer services.
Phone:  541-672-6581

Douglas County Senior Services Division/Health & Social Services
Elder Abuse Reporting; Adult Protective Services; Medical and Financial Assistance, Food Stamp Program.
Social Services - Legal Assistance, Health Promotion and Respite Care
Nutrition Services - Senior Center Meal and Home-delivered meals (Meals on Wheels)
Medicaid, Financial and Social Services - Medical Assistance – Medicaid Eligibility Case Management – eligibility, assessment, service planning
Care Giver Registry – screening, referral
Care Giver Support Groups – Roseburg, Reedsport
In-Home Services – home care, personal care
Adult Foster Homes – license, referral
Residential Care/Assisted Living Facility – referral
Room & Board Facility – registration information
Phone:  541-440-3580 or 1-800-234-0985, Ext 3580
             541-271-4835 (West County Office)
             541-836-7311 (North County Annex)
             541-839-4495 (South County Office)
Senior Center Services: 
             541-832-3220 – Glendale-Special People’s Depot
             541-496-3736 – Glide-Glide Community Club
             541-271-4884 – Reedsport-Lower Umpqua Senior Center
             541-839-4495 – Riddle-Riddle Community Center
             541-679-9715 – Winston-Winston Community Building
             541-849-2951 – Yoncalla/Drain-Yoncalla Community Center

United Community Action Network (UCAN)
Case Management, Housing and Emergency Support Services (CHESS)

Case Management and Housing - Stabilization program provides families and individuals with the skills needed to empower them to become self-reliant. Housing counseling for landlord/tenant problems, home repair assistance, home weatherization measure for low income households, have listings to help with finding and keeping a rental, development of low-income housing, transitional housing (up to 2 years of affordable housing with intensive case management services).
Emergency Support Services - Provides short-term emergency shelter, rent/mortgage assistance, blankets/clothes/food and personal hygiene items for families in crisis, utility assistance, energy conservation information, and community information and referral.
Phone:  541-672-3421 Roseburg or 1-800-301-8226

United Community Action Network (UCAN) Family Connections of Douglas County
USDA Child and Adult Care Food Program - Reimburses child care homes for meals served to children in care; in-home visits three times a year to provide assistance with nutrition and menu planning; workshops, a newsletter, and technical assistance. Serves Douglas County family child care and group home providers registered with the Child Care Division or DHS listed who are caring for children birth to 13 years of age. Call 541-672-7004 or 1-800-947-1206 for information.
Warmline - A confidential telephone support for information and referral to programs, services and resources available in Douglas County. Provides assessment, advocacy and follow-up for those who may need or ant extra support to access necessary services. Call 541-677-WARM (9276) or 1-977-677-9276.
Phone:  541-672-7955 or 1-800-443-0812

Umpqua Community Development Corporation
Develop affordable housing for low and moderate income families through new construction and rehabilitation. Create economic development opportunities for the families of Douglas, Coos and Curry Counties. Micro-Enterprise Development and Learning (MEDAL) program helps low-income entrepreneurs obtain financing and develop skills to initiate businesses. Heartwood Resources offers a used building materials retail outlet with deconstruction services. Low or zero interest loans for homeowners to rehab or repair their homes.  Self-Help housing where low-income residents can build their own home under our guidance and supervision.
Phone:  541-673-4909

Saving Grace
Nonprofit, philanthropic, all volunteer organization dedicated to preventing cruelty of every kind to animals and children; education program in schools; spay/neuter certificate program for low cost or free services for dogs and cats. Provides financial assistance with emergency veterinarian bills for seniors and needy. The work of the Humane Society has resulted in Oregon having the most humane rodeos in the U.S.
Phone:  541-672-5039