Our office is located in the Court House at 1036 SE Douglas
Rm CH124, Roseburg, OR.
The mailing address is:
Douglas County Clerk
BOPTA Clerk, Rosemarie Wess
1036 SE Douglas, Rm CH124
Roseburg, OR 97470
All petitions must be postmarked no later than December 31st
We no longer have forms in our office. Forms can be downloaded from the Department of Revenue's website. See "Forms & Links" box below.
In Oregon, property taxes are assessed against real property, machinery and equipment, manufactured structures, business personal property and floating property. Oregon has an ad valorem tax system – the property taxes you pay are based on the value the county assessor establishes for your property. Property values may be appealed to the Board of Property Tax Appeals (Bopta) as prescribed by Oregon law beginning each year the day after tax statements are mailed (middle to end of October.)
In Douglas County, petitions to the Board of Property Tax Appeals must be filed with the COUNTY CLERK by 5:00 p.m., December 31st, by one of the following methods:
- Hand-delivered. The petition must be received in the CLERK’S OFFICE ONLY, by the filing deadline (not dropped in an exterior mail slot or delivered to another office). Douglas County Clerk, 1036 SE Douglas Ave., Roseburg, Oregon 97470
- Mailed. The petition must be postmarked on or before the filing deadline and addressed to the COUNTY CLERK. POSTMARKS MEETING THE ABOVE DEADLINE WILL BE ACCEPTED. Douglas County Clerk, PO Box 10, Roseburg, Oregon 97470
- Faxed. The petition must be received in the office of the COUNTY CLERK by midnight of the filing deadline as evidenced by the electronic acknowledgment of receipt produced by the CLERK’S fax machine. 541-440-4408
- Electronic Filing. The petition must be received in the office of the COUNTY CLERK by midnight of the filing deadline as evidenced by the acknowledgment of receipt produced by the COUNTY CLERK’S computer network. The only method for electronically filing is through the CLERK’S OFFICE. Email address is Bopta@co.douglas.or.us
This email will be available after the mailing of tax statements.
It is the policy of the Douglas County Clerk Board of Property Tax Appeals, that hearings scheduled for a specific date and time will be heard only at the time scheduled.
Additional information is available through the CLERK’S Office and the Department of Revenue.
Click here to read "Douglas County Board of Property Tax Appeals (BoPTA) Notice of Session"
Accommodations for persons with disabilities can contact the BOPTA Clerk at 541-440-6267.
- Property values, NOT TAXES, are the subject of the hearing.
- Petitioner and the Assessor’s representative will have up to five (5) minutes to present information.
- The Board will have ten (10) minutes to question the Petitioner and the Assessor.
- All materials/exhibits presented by the Petitioner MUST be left with the Board.
- If you have additional evidence at the time of the hearing, please bring five (5) copies of your evidence with you. Make sure ALL evidence is marked with your NAME and PETITION NUMBER.
If you have any additional question, please call 541-440-6267.
|Board of Property Tax Appeals (BoPTA)
The Board of Property Tax Appeals (BoPTA) is a group of volunteers appointed by the Governing Authority to hear
petitions for the reduction of property values on the property tax roll (real market value; specially assessed value; maximum assessed
value; maximum specially assessed value; assessed value; any value for destroyed or damaged property changed by the assessor for July 1;
value added to the roll prior to December 1 under ORS 311.208; waiver of liability for all or a portion of the penalty imposed under
ORS. 308.295 or 308.296 for the late filing of a Real Property Return, an Industrial Property Return, or a Confidential Personal Property Return).
|The term of members appointed to a Property Tax Appeals board for a given tax year is October 15 through June 30.
BoPTA Petitions must be heard on or after the first Monday in February through April 15.
Board of Property Tax Appeals:
Board of Property Tax Appeals meetings are yearly.
The meetings are located at:
Douglas County Courthouse RM CH 111
1036 SE Douglas Ave
Roseburg, Oregon, unless otherwise notified.
The next Board convenes on
Wednesday, February 20, 2019 1:30 p.m.,
Douglas County Courthouse RM CH 111.
Board of Property Tax Appeals:
Click to Download the Notice of Session
| BOPTA Minutes:
2019 | 2018
|Notice: The information provided here is for convenience ONLY. The records located at the Douglas County Clerk's office are the one and only legal instruments. Although reasonable attempts are made to maintain this information as accurate as possible, these documents are being provided as an informational convenience ONLY. Douglas County in no way will be liable for any inaccuracies, inconsistencies, errors, omissions, or other deviations in these documents from the original copies maintained and filed at the Douglas County Clerk Office, Roseburg, Oregon.